Thursday 5 September 2013

where the spirits head home

As someone who doesnt believe in religion and all the pomp and ceremony that goes with it, I tend to sway towards old beliefs and customs.  To me they make more sense.
They believe in nature and the Gods are in the form of the earth, the sea and the sky.
In New Zealand I loved to listen to the folklore of the Maori and the places we went to gave me a better understanding of all the stories.

Up at Cape Reinga (Read here about the Cape) there were two such legends that made alot of sense to me.  Up here, at the northern tip of New Zealand two seas meet.  Its where the Pacific meets the Tasman sea and its the Meeting point.  A meeting of the Male and the Female.



Its is also where the spirits head home.  Where our spirits after we die, travel and launch themselves off the cliff and go home.
For someone like me who has lost faith in religion and mankind this place had a calming and deeply comforting aura about it.  It made me believe that perhaps I too would one day find my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment