Sunday 31 July 2022

Discovering me

 I discovered a part of myself in Canada.

I always knew who I was and what I liked but living in Canada with my son and daughter in law helped me discover me.

I always thought that I could go live a quiet life in the woods, embracing a rural lifestyle. I discovered I am a city girl through and through.  I feed off the stimulation that a vibrant city creates.  I like the hustle and bustle, I like the convenience of a first class public transport system.  I like the independence of doing everything for myself.

I did learn to slow down in Nanaimo, Canada but I think I did not adapt well to the life.  I stopped going for my walks, I stopped writing, I didn't take my camera out much and I allowed myself to wallow. I didn't explore the town on my own, I didn't event take the bus.

I missed the city.  I missed knowing that I could go out and do things for myself.  I felt isolated in Nanaimo.  I missed my friends.  I missed the fact that here in Singapore I was also a woman, a daughter, a mum and a friend.  In Canada I wasn't a woman, I was just mum.

It did take me a couple of weeks to get used to the noise and crowds in Singapore, and I do miss my family and the open spaces in Canada.

Having discovered a part of me, learning more about me and discovering the rest of me is going to interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment