Friday, 28 June 2013

sticky date pudding with toffee sauce ....gluten free

I had mixed a batch of GF all purpose flour for baking as I wanted to do some GF muffins to freeze (for my trip, they never feed you properly on the flight and GF food is unpalatable) so there was enough flour to make a tart.  I looked for plums in the supermarket as I thought I'd do another plum tart but I couldnt find any.
there were dates though

so I figured that I should try to see if Gluten free sticky date pudding would be possible.
as usual I trawled my favourite highway ......the internet and my best friend google came up with a few interesting possibilities.
I used my mix of GF all purpose flour, but using almond meal instead of Buckwheat flour. Buckwheat flour is very grainy, I prefer the almond meal
GF all prupose flour
1 cup sorghum
1 cup brown rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup almond meal
1 tsp xantham gum

and used this recipe I found for the pudding.  I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder to the 1 cup of flour required for the recipe as My GF flour mix is not self raising.  the end result looked very much like batter and not a cake mix but once it was cooked (it took longer than the stipulated time) it was spongy, sticky and extremely good!

I however used another recipe for the sauce
125 gms butter
1 cup cream
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

I let the sugar become caramel, then added the butter and cream and let it come to boil and simmer till thick, about 3 mins.

I didnt take pictures as I had too many things happening in the kitchen at the same time ( was also making some marinated chicken,  apart from the choc chip muffins,  to freeze for the son so he wont starve while I am away) and my kitchen was in a god awful mess and not photograph friendly.

Maybe this is something I could do when I come back from NZ, start gluten free baking classes?


No comments:

Post a Comment