Tuesday, 21 May 2013

gluten goodness .....or not

Its been pretty hard to keep to my gluten free diet while on holiday.  Its not that there weren't any options it was just hard to say no to certain things......like
fish and chips, scones, doughnuts..... I did my best I really did but in between I did indulge with the usual horrible after effects all for the love of familiar tastes.

Now that I am home I have been extremely good and the stomach is not protesting as much.  I still get flack from the family with the usual " whats the harm, just this one time eat the wheat/gluten" .  They don't get it I guess.
fresh out of the oven
My reality is that it does make a difference and when I eat sensibly, which is gluten  free, I feel really good......
I made a gluten free mango upside down cake today.....yummmmm
I got the recipe here
Now only if mine could look like the cake in the website!
pretty enough I guess
The flour I used is this from The Gluten Free Goddess


proof is in the eating!
I also use a combination from The Gluten Free Girl and the Chef as well

For today's cake I used my all purpose cake mixture which is below but I had to add in 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder to this cake recipe.


1 cup Sorghum flour
1 cup brown rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
1tsp xantham gum
I mixed all these and put it in a jar to use when I want all purpose flour.
I have also substituted the 1/3 cup buckwheat for almond meal. (not flour but meal which is  ground almonds) but remember almond meal is a nut so those with allergies cant use that, and it has more fat in it which will change the texture and density of the cake/muffin.
now to go eat that slice!

4 comments:

  1. Ugh. I too have food restrictions. It's amazing how people just don't get it. 'Oh you can do it just this once!" Well, yes, I can, and then I will feel awful for two days. Not really worth it for the ten minutes it took to eat whatever it was.

    Your cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it's hard to educate family and friends.
      Thank u! And it tastes divine....at least I can bake gluten free for myself..

      Delete
  2. I feel for people with real gluten intolerance. Gluten free is such a fad right now that it's hard to take seriously sometimes (like with my grandmother who claims to eat gluten free then wolfs down a package of crackers with no problem)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is! Those making a lifestyle choice should just say that so people that do have an intolerance or worse are allergic can then get the understanding they deserve.

    ReplyDelete